Tales From Briantha-Kava
by Emery Ayres
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), I control and process personal information about you electronically when you use this website.
I am exempt from registration in the ICO Data Protection Register because I only collect and process information for core business purposes.
My web hosting provider, Geek Storage, keeps server logs that record the IP address of each visitor to this website. Visitor IP addresses from the last twenty-four hours are made available to me, after which time I no longer have access to this data. I do not utilise this data except when necessary for the legitimate interest of website security.
I track visits to this website using Matomo, a self-hosted analytics platform. Matomo respects the Do Not Track setting you choose in your browser and will only collect information about you if you have not enabled Do Not Track. I have configured my Matomo installation to collect no personal data as detailed in this guide. Only I have access to the data Matomo collects, and I never share it with any third party. I retain this data for six months.
When a visitor arrives at this website, Matomo collects the following information about that visitor:
- Anonymized user IP address
- Date and time of the request
- Title of the page being viewed (Page Title)
- URL of the page being viewed (Page URL)
- URL of the page that was viewed prior to the current page (Referrer URL)
- Screen resolution being used
- Time in local user’s timezone
- Files that were clicked and downloaded (Download)
- Links to an outside domain that were clicked (Outlink)
- Pages generation time (the time it takes for webpages to be generated by the webserver and then downloaded by the user: Page speed)
- Main Language of the browser being used (Accept-Language header)
- Location of the user (country only, guessed based on user's language)
- User Agent of the browser being used (User-Agent header). From the User-Agent, Matomo uses its Universal Device Detection library to detect:
- operating system
- device used (desktop, tablet, mobile, tv, cars, console, etc.), brand and model
- Campaigns (whether user arrived via a campaign, i.e. a Matomo link in ebook back matter, email newsletter or banner ad)
I use MailerLite to manage my email marketing subscriber list and to send emails to my subscribers. MailerLite is a third-party provider, which may process your data using industry standard technologies to help me monitor and improve my newsletter.
You can unsubscribe from my newsletter by clicking on the unsubscribe link provided at the end of each newsletter.
I ensure the safety of your personal data by using secure data storage technologies provided by:
Geek Storage: Geek Storage utilizes enterprise-grade security to protect all hardware at their data centers. They also offer a robust set of software security tools built on industry standards such as ModSecurity.
MailerLite: MailerLite's data storage center has information storage security certificate (ISO 27001), as well as the certificate of IT service management (ISO 20000).
Updated November 2018
Tales from Briantha-Kava is a trademark of Emery Ayres.